Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Journey Home

So I did make it back home after an arduous train journey. Why arduous? I had a side upper berth (for those familiar with Indian trains) which is anyway smaller than the berths in the main section of the compartment. On top of that, I realized that my housekeeper had forgotten to put the chain with which one can tie one's luggage to the bottom of the seat (to protect against thefts) inside my bag. So I had to sleep with my bag next to me & anyone who's travelled by Indian trains knows how uncomfortable that can be. I cannot tell you how mad I was at her!!

The retarded attendant decided to keep the air-con on full blast all thru' the night & I became frozen mangsho (that's Bong for 'meat')!!!! On top of it all, the train reached Patna 5 hrs late. There's a reason I don't like travelling by train these days.

But it's been bliss since I've come home. I've been eating, sleeping, chatting with my parents & generally milling about the house doing nothing. Ah...bliss....

Ciao for now. More to come later...

6 comments:

Moonshine said...

Now that you are home, i am sure you dont remember any of the discomfort now!! Its been quite sometime since i traveled on a long distance train!!! I do miss it!!!

Scarlett said...

I don't like long train journeys at all these days. Affordable flight fares have spoilt us I guess.

Kalyan Karmakar said...

in my ac 3 tier days i'd like trhe side berth because you'd get a 2 tier for the price of 3 ;)

Scarlett said...

@ The Knife - Welcome back!! :)

Kalyan Karmakar said...

i wanna go back...happy Diwali

Farcenal said...

There is a certain magic about traveling by Indian trains though. Whether it be the crisp night air at a station in the middle of nowhere or the hot biryani brought around or the sheer joy of going on a school trip by train.

A lot of Ruskin Bond's short stories take place on trains. I actually read that book of short stories (an achievement because I usually read about one book a year) and fell even more in love with train journeys in India.

I suppose it has its down sides too, but as with the rest of India, you've gotta take everything with a pinch of salt and go with the flow.