Friday, July 8, 2011

I get amazed at how selfish people can be. There's a girl that I've met through some friends. She usually hangs out with us.

A friend of mine from Melbourne was visiting a couple of weekends ago and we planned to go to a restaurant that I've wanted to go to for a long time. Like I really want to go there. This woman refused to go because she found it expensive (I suppose the bill would've come to approx. $30-35 per person, which is a little bit expensive, but then it's virtually impossible to have a quality dining experience in Sydney for any less than that. A meal at a very mediocre restaurant would cost you $20-25).

So we ended up going to some random place that no one wanted to go to just because the food was cheap enough for her. And today, when someone offered to take her out for dinner, she promptly suggested that restaurant (the one I wanted to go to)! She even went to the extent of calling them and reserving a table!! I was aghast!!

Now, I completely respect the fact that people may have different financial motives than me. Most of the times we don't know what their real financial situation is. But this woman is earning a dollar salary and she NEVER goes out for lunch/dinner/movie/shopping. She doesn't even buy coffee, so it's not like she's bad with money and is trying to get some financial discipline in her life. You'd think that when a friend is visiting from out-of-town, people would at least have the courtest to put that person before themselves.

And this woman will ask me anything she fancies about my personal life, and consider it her birth right to give me unsolicited advice on my relationship status and my life decisions, but today when I asked her something in response to something she said (she said she couldn't wait to go back to India and I simply asked why), she snapped at me saying "she has her personal reasons".

And oh my God, she is so dominating! It's come to the point where I don't like to hang out with her anymore.

She'll walk around telling people what to do and what not to do - how they should cook their egg (scrambled vs boiled vs omelet), when they should open and shut the window to THEIR room, which type of biryani they should eat, how everyone should love milk because she and her husband do. Basically she thinks that everything she and her husband like/do is THE way to go and everyone should like/do the same things. In fact she speaks so frequently for her husband I often feel sorry for him - she may be forcing her way through his life as well. But then he made the decision to marry her so maybe I don't feel sorry for him anymore. I do feel sorry for the kids she will have though - poor things don't have a choice of mother.

Like, no thank you! I will have my eggs exactly as I want to and if you have a problem with that, go shove some eggs down your husband's throat. Or better still, lay a few. And stop telling me what I should or shouldn't do.

Gaaaah...I think I'll just go to sleep now before the buzz from the wine wears off. Have a great weekend people!!

11 comments:

Ru. said...

I could fit many of my acquaintances into the description you gave :D
While I was reading this, I realized there is something very open about the way you write, and it leads me to believe that you are a very open and independent person. I am curious if this is with most bloggers (i dont think so, at least not me!). It just stuck me suddenly and I had to tell you :)

Scarlett said...

@Melee - Well I'm definitely very independent. I'm not too sure about open though. I guess I do speak my mind most of the time. In fact at times I speak before I think, so a lot of foot-in-mouth happens. But when it comes to having a "conversation" with people, I try to put it off for as long as I can b/c I don't like confrontations.

Moonshine said...

@Scarlett God what a hypocrite!!! I just clamp up with such people.. no matter even if I remotely feel like talking, I just cant.

And melee, Scarlett is really quite open!!!! She says things as she sees it :)))

Kalyan Karmakar said...

seems like the wine was really good

Amit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amit said...

Forget the woman, which brand of wine you had...i may need some of it, there are some DKBose in my life at this moment ;)

Scarlett said...

@Moonshine - After her dinner at the restaurant I really wanted to go to but couldn't b/c of her, this woman has the balls to tell me "It was really nice. You should go there some time." Imagine!!

@Knife - Got the bitchy juices flowing, didn't it? :)

God, I have to repress myself so much here...people get offended at the drop of a hat!

@Amit Gupta - Some exotic New Zealand variety. I forget the name.

eye-in-sty-in said...

Why would you change your plans for someone else? If the majority wanted to go to that restaurant, you all should have split n went. life is too short to change plans for stupid people as it was proved in hindsight.

I had a conversation with one of my friends about a similar thing where one girl would not carry her wallet while going out for drinks in a group. She makes a guy who is interested in her pay for the drinks. Hope she knows and gives what he expects...

I too hate such vile, freeloading creatures! next time, please put her eggs in place for her....! When did you move to Sydney? Is it temporary for work or leisure? or permanent?

Scarlett said...

@eye-in-sty-in - I'm on a work visa...for as long as I want to stay here I guess.

eye-in-sty-in said...

kewl.. keep showing us around Australia. Buy a FLIP and start a youtube channel :-)

Serge said...

That woman sure has some personality issues that need to be brought up to her by her husband.