Monday, July 20, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Hmmm…Where do I begin? Irrespective of how good or bad the Potter movies are, I have to watch them simply because I’m a Potter-maniac.

To be fair to the movies, none of them have been bad on absolute terms but I think this one was relatively better than the other ones, in terms of doing justice to the book it is adapted from and its execution - probably because this movie didn’t require special effects at the same scale as the earlier movies, focusing instead on the budding romance between Harry & Ginny, and Hermione pining for Ron.

A good director can get the emotional bit right but when you're trying to aggrandize a movie in terms of its scale, there is a good chance you might lose the plot.

I didn’t think this movie was spectacular in terms of scale, the sets, visual effects etc. – because it wasn’t. The earlier movies had those on a much grander scale. But I enjoyed this movie. It was dark, funny, and the actors seem to have really come into their own.

I just wish Rowling hadn’t killed Dumbledore in the book. Did she really have to?

6 comments:

Moonshine said...

I was sad both the times when i read the book. Was sad even when i watched it. Kept hoping Dumbledore comes alive magically in the last book!!!

Scarlett said...

@Moonshine - The great wizard that he was, he shouldn't have gotten killed. Wasn't the entire HP series about the victory of 'good' over 'evil'?

Moonshine said...

I really had hoped that he does not get killed!!! Good over evil happens, right, in the end!!!!

I hope the last movie is longer!!! And they devote time to all occurences.. it should be long right? There are so many things that happen in Deathly Hallows!

Scarlett said...

@Moonshine - They're making the Deathly Hallows in two parts & releasing them a year apart. I can so hear you going, "What?? No! That's so unfair!" :P

Moonshine said...

What????? Oh no!!!! lol

But then again, one more year to look forward to!!!!

Scarlett said...

@Moonshine - But think about it..the first movie will end up abruptly, probably somewhere in the jungle :)