Friday, November 2, 2007

Nancy Drew is coming to town!

While I was flipping through TV channels yesterday, I stumbled upon one of the Hindi channels that was airing a special program on the Shahid-Kareena break-up! Imagine...a half-hour special on a break-up! They kept showing images of Saif Ali Khan & Kareena Kapoor at the Lakme Fashion Week over and over again, and kept speculating over how shattered Shahid Kappor must be.

Honestly, I feel terrible for these people. The media is a vulture waiting to pounce on them. They scrutinize every bit of their private lives. I am sure Shahid Kapoor must be feeling crappy enough already. The last thing you want to see is people pitying you on national TV!

Disgusted, I switched channels and landed upon another news channel celebrating Ms Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's birthday. And how exactly were they celebrating it? By doing a program called 'Neither Salman's, Nor Vivek's...she's Abhishek's'! How retarded can we get??!!!

I'm not a big fan of the lady for myriad reasons but it's not fair to keep associating her name with Salman Khan & Vivek Oberoi all her life! Her identity does not stem from the fact that she dated the two of them at one point of time. Neither is her identity linked to that of Abhishek Bachchan. And I completely don't understand what who she dated and who she got married to has anything to do with her birthday!

But...there ARE some good things happening on the silver screen. Nancy Drew is all set to make her movie debut! I've been a big fan of Nancy Drew since I was a teenager. I've grown out of the Nancy Drew series now but as a teenager, I used to love the mystery that the novels revolved around. Looking back, I laugh at how simplistic the books were...how things always fell into place for Nancy. How she always ended up at the right place at the right time, and with a little bit of snooping around, she'd solve all her myteries. Just like that! Yet, it seemed so adventurous & thrilling at the time!

The mention of Nancy Drew can never be complete without the mention of the other characters in the novel. Her two best friends - the slightly overweight Bess Marvin who used to get a lot of flak from Nancy and her other cousin George, who was quite tomboyish; Nancy's boyfriend Ned Nickerson, George's boyfriend Burt Eddleton and Bess' boyfriend Dave Evans. It would be fun to watch Nancy and her friends revv up some action on the screen.

Btw, I just learnt that Carolyn Keene never existed! The name was invented by the publishers. No matter who wrote the book, it went by Carolyn Keene.

No comments: