Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Who Stole My Christmas?

Crib post ahead. You have been warned.

It's two days till Christmas and I'm not feeling Christmassy yet :(


I'm a Christmas person. I decorate my house every year. I put up a tree, ornaments, wreaths, streamers...the works! I used to decorate my desk at work as well. My friends & I play Secret Santa. So it's very uspetting to not be feeling the spirit of Christmas because I know I'll have to wait an entire year for the next one to come around :(

Honestly, I'm done with 2010. It's been a year of constant change. The changes have been for the better, career advancement and all that, but they've been way too frequent for my liking. I'm also staring a few more undesired changes, personal and professional, in the face. Sigh.

Then there are the bitchy people. They abound in my life. People who pretend to be really fond of you to your face but bitch about you once out of earshot. People who spread all sorts of false malicious gossip about your personal & professional life. I'm amazed at how bitchy some people I know can get!

I understand that people bitch about someone when they're insecure or feel themselves to be inferior, and you'd think that after 6 years of working in the corporate world I would've learnt how to treat these people, i.e. ignore them. But I really can't ignore negative talk. I've learnt how to deal with it and not get angry over it, I've got to the point where I don't let it get to me. But I can't completely ignore it. Negativity affects me.

These events have taken the festive feeling out of this time of the year. Looks like someone has stolen my Christmas :(

8 comments:

muddleglum said...

You'll find my blog post about this sometime tomorrow. Look for "Joy of Bleakness." Is it coal in your stocking? That depends on how good you are.

Oh, and thank you for the gift of a blog post subject.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Magical Homes said...

trust me, i know exactly how you feel. and i've come to the conclusion that i'm going to be ME. I don't care if I'm not bitchy and can't do politics, and can't handle people who do the same. I'm going to ignore them, do my work and move on.

Scarlett said...

@Muddleglum - What does "coal in your stocking" mean? And Merry Christmas to you too :)

@Mumbai Diva - Welcome back :)

You know, it's so difficult to be normal/friendly with people who you know are bitching about you behind your back. And what do you do if someone who's really friendly to you does the same? I wish people would just learn to mind their own business.

muddleglum said...

Hi, again, Scarlett,

One tradition of Santa Claus was that, for the naughty child, he left coal in their stockings.

So I was using a rhetorical device to pretend that you were asking if I disagreed with what you said in your post. My answer was a non sequitur and only shows what a tease I am.

My post is at http://muddlespad.blogspot.com/2010/12/joy-of-bleakness.html

I was going to link your post in but thought it was too personal. What do you think? Should I edit it and add a link to your post?

Moonshine said...

@Scarlett Just IGNORE them. People will always be like this. You do whatever you like doing and just be yourself.

Kalyan Karmakar said...

Hey A,

We had our first Christmas Party at Mumbai last year and Christmas trees. Not in the spirit at all this years. The blooming trees are somewhere in the loft. I know where you are coming from.

But as I type this a friend is coming over with cakes she baked. And a friend of a friend invited us for what sounds like a fairly cosy party tomorrow...so, let's forget the foog for a while and look at the elves...what say?

Scarlett said...

@Muddleglum - Oh, I thought naughty kids didn't get a visit from Santa? That's a chink in my Christmas story :)

With re: to the link, go ahead if you want to. It's all good. Though I'm not sure your friends would be interested in the cribs of a woman halfway across the world!

@Moonshine - Thanks :)

@Knife - I did take my little tree out and decorated it. HAD to make myself feel a little Christmassy at least. But I didn't get streamers, wreaths, lights etc. this year. I plan to make up for it next year!

I hope you have fun at your party! I'll be hanging out with my mum :)

muddleglum said...

Oh, and people who knife others in the back end up putting coal in their own stockings. At least the outcome from the few times I noticed people trying that tactic on me leads me to believe that those same people were loathed by all the decent people in the same work area.

and that is a gift in itself, that you are respected and liked by good people, even if they are on the other side of the world.