Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The inevitable question of life

There comes a time in almost everybody's life, usually after having worked for 5-6 years, when they start questioning what they're doing with their lives. Is what they're doing enough, or is there much more that they can do? Is the direction their life is going in really the direction they want their life to go in? Have they had
too much of what they're doing already?

I certainly seem to have hit that block in life. After four-and-a-half years of working I feel like I need to take some major decisions in life. I have started feeling saturated in the industry I'm in. Don't get me wrong..I don't believe at all that I've already learnt all there is to learn in my industry. But the more I work in this industry, the more I feel that there is life beyond it!

I feel burnt out and bored with what I'm doing. I need a break from work, from the industry I'm in and from living on my own in Mumbai (anyone who's done that knows just what a task it is!). I feel the need to take 2-3 months off, move back with my parents and figure my life out.

Up until now I've been going with the flow. I graduated from school, came back to India, Googled for industries that would match my qualifications and took up the first thing that came my way. One year later, I moved my job and city, and have been in the same organization for the past three-and-a-half years! Now is the time for me to decide whether I want to stay in this industry or I want out. And for that I need time to myself, time to think of the options I have, time to decide which option I want to take up.

I wish I was an American and could simply afford to say "I'm taking a year off to figure my life out!". I wish I could say I want a break from life! Unfortunately that's something that none of us can say, irrespective of how crappy our life gets. I truly envy people who have, or at least feel they have their entire life figured out. Good for them! My quest, it seems, will continue for a while longer. Though I hope that by the end of 2008 I would've taken a definite decision on the direction I want my life to take! I'm surely making an effort :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Confusion is not when something does not make sense;
It is when something does and is contradicted by something else that makes sense too

Neha said...

The uncertainity for a long time may be unsettling for most of us but then always having everything sorted out life also takes the charm out of life. Just a thought :).

Nice post anyways.. could identify with the emotions there

Neha said...

You dont know me neither do i know you! was reading through your blog when i got a link to your blog! Like it and hence left a comment on the post!