Thursday, February 21, 2008

The IPL mania

The hype and excitement surrounding the IPL is infectious. How can I remain unaffected? So here’s my two bit on the whole thing.

• It’s a revolution in Indian cricket, and I am a big supporter of revolutions – anything that tries to break age old customs, bring a fresh perspective to things, dares to change norms and “the given” are good in my book.

• Having said that, the amount of money that’s there in Indian cricket is sickening! Even worse is the extent to which we (Indians), as a people, patronize cricket at the expense of every other game in the country. I love cricket, and I think Twenty20 was an absolute master stroke both in terms of giving a new lease of life to the game as well as making it possible for the regular office-going time-deprived junta to be able to watch their favorite game. However, the kind of step-brotherly treatment we give to other games is indeed very sad. Come on, what about football and basketball??

• While I totally believe that people who dare to become entrepreneurs and take big risks in life deserve big returns as well, the thought that Shahrukh Khan, Preity Zinta, Vijay Mallya & Mukesh Ambani will be even richer than they already are doesn’t exactly make me jump with joy!

• Ditto for the players. 6 crores, 5.4 crores, 4.5 crores are OBSCENE amounts of money to be splurged on cricket players. Sure, they’re talented, have worked insanely hard at their game to have made it to the national team, and have to work hard everyday to retain their spot on the team. BUT there’s only so much that you can justifying paying a professional…ANY professional. And let’s not forget – we’re a poor country that can’t even afford to provide two square meals a day, healthcare and education to our entire population. And here we are, proudly touting such a shameless waste of money! Surely there are other more deserving avenues where that money can be “utilized”.

Having said all of the above, let me also add that I will be supporting Kolkata & Mumbai (not necessarily in that order) once the IPL games start.

Kolkata because they've got Dada and if there's one city where you can see true love for the game, it's Kolkata (and not Kolkatta or Kolcutta like most people - read morons - pronounce it!). And also for Shahrukh Khan's "play to win" attitude. There's only one way to play any game in life...you play to win!

And Mumbai because it's MY Mumbai and I love the spirit of this city and I love everything about it!

I have no clue though which team I would support if Mumbai & Kolkata play each other...it would be interesting to see which way I swing!!

No comments: