Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Things to be thankful for

All of us constantly crib about the things that are wrong in our lives. Work sucks. We have no love life or worse still, the boyfriend is a jerk. We're not getting paid enough & we're doing way more work than we're supposed to do. We're too fat or too thin. We're too short or too tall. We don't have nice hair. Our shoulders are too broad. Our calves are too fat. We have too many pimples on our face ya di ya di ya da. So I decided to do a quick reality check on the things that I should be THANKFUL for in life & here are my bullet points:

1. I have a family that loves me infinitely & unconditionally. I have amazing parents & a mind-blowing sister who are ALWAYS there by my side & help me whenever I'm in a crisis situation.

2. Inspite of living in a small town, my parents have always given me a lot of independence & been extremely tolerant of my decisions & choices in life. They have never questioned my decisions, and given me advice only when I asked them for it - something not many parents are sensible enough to do!

3. They have never forced me to do something I didn't want to do.

4. They gave me the best education they could afford, as a result today I am self-reliant and can take care of myself financially. Not to mention I can have sensible conversation with people on almost ANY topic that I'm aware of without sounding like a dumb bumbling idiot.

5. They let me move out of home at a relatively young age (18 years) so I could learn to become strong & to take care of myself non-financially as well.

6. I have a job that takes care of my needs, helps me pay my bills and helps me afford the things I want to buy. Not many people are lucky enough.

7. I work in a field I like reasonably well and I work for a company that is globally the biggest brand name within the industry.

8. I have amazing friends who make me feel loved & wanted. I have taken them for granted on many occasions, been selfish, snubbed them, yelled at them, fought with them - something we all do - yet they have ALWAYS been there for me. I LOVE YOU ALL!

9. Here's the best bit on my friends...Most of them are men! And since men are much more practical than women & not as emotional, they are much better equipped to handle crisis situations than women! Thank you God :-)

10. I lead an independent life. I take my own decisions. I make my own choices. I'm free to make my own mistakes & learn from them. I have my own money & am free to spend it the way I like, on the things I want to spend it on.

11. I've been lucky enough to travel to other countries, see different places, learn about other cultures & imbibe the good things from them.

12. My life has been one long roller-coaster (just like anybody else's I suppose). There have been lots of times when things have not worked out, or worked out differently than the way I wanted them to. Things I have lost out on or not been able to achieve. It has seemed incredibly hard at times but whenever I've looked back, I've realized that things always worked out for the best.

I'm sure there are hundreds of other things I need to be thankful for. These are the ones that come to mind right now.I shall write more as & when I think about them:-)

No comments: