Friday, September 12, 2008

When I Say 'Beer', You Say 'Here'!

There are two kinds of people in this world – beer lovers & beer haters.

I do not like beer, yet fifty percent of the times that I’m drinking, you’ll catch me with a beer in my hand. It’s perplexing to people. It should be perplexing to me too…why do I drink beer if I don’t like it? I get asked by people all the time too, and I’m sick of going over the story again & again, so let me put this in the public domain so the next time someone asks me this question, I’ll just ask them to go read my blog!!

When I was in college, alcohol was an integral part of my existence. Thursday nights used to be party nights…I don’t know why, they just were! We never felt the need to question it. Friday nights & Saturday nights of course were party nights. Sunday afternoons used to be spent lounging in the outdoor courtyard of ‘He’s Not Here’ in shorts & flip-flops, guzzling down beer from a 32 oz. signature ‘He’s Not Blue Cup’. In short, beer used to be plentiful in college and a cheap way of getting drunk for cash-strapped college students!!

Once I graduated though, the number of female friends I had declined mysteriously. All of a sudden I started acquiring male friends only, and where there are men, there will be beer.

When you are in the company of men, you start drinking beer even if you don’t exactly relish it. Maybe because you get taunted for being a typical "chick" with tantrums every time you order a green apple martini or a mint chocolate chip martini or a cosmo while everyone else on a table wants a simple beer. Or maybe just because it’s a pain to explain to the usually clueless Indian bartenders how to make a mint chocolate chip martini whereas it’s so much easier to just ask for a goddamn beer!

Whatever the reason, the beer ultimately wins the battle of the alcohols. So until the green apple martini can beat the nasty beer at its own game, bring on the Bud!!

5 comments:

Kalyan Karmakar said...

beer was the official poison in most office parties of my previous companies...

Scarlett said...

Beer is a 'cult' :)

Kalyan Karmakar said...

Its like whiskey. You either like it or you don't. I think its also not seen as a 'hard' drink so often an entry point into alcohol...re parites I think finance likes it because it works out cheaper

Nirav said...

As they say "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

As an extension, people who don't love beer have probably sinned a lot in their previous lives, and are being punished by God!

As for me, I don't know what I would do without it :-)

Scarlett said...

I honestly do not understand how men can 'like' the taste of beer. It's one of those things that you just drink but men actually like the taste!!