Sunday, March 9, 2008

The post I didn't want to write

The SMSes have been pouring in since morning. "Thank you for being so special." "Thank you for doing all that you do." "Happy Women's Day." I get these messages on 8th March ever year. I read them, shrug my shoulders & go back to doing what I was doing.

It's no big deal for me to do all that I do. I don't need a pat on my back for it. I don't need a 'thank you' on one particular day every year. I'd rather that your actions speak for you. Every time you break my heart, think about me. Everytime you crib about the food not tasting good, be thankful that you have someone to cook for you. Everytime you take me for granted, think about all the ways I make life special for you.

When I come home late from work because I have the same kind of targets & deadlines to meet as you do, don't make a fuss about it. When I beat you to a promotion or get a higher increment than you, don't snigger. When faced with the same professional challenge, don't look down on me or doubt my capability...becasue I'm capable of doing all that you do & more, without needing a 'thank you' to motivate me.

If I ever place my career after yours, it will be because you gave me kids that needed looking after & you didn't have the time to look after them. Everytime you got ahead of me at work, it won't be because I'm less capable than you. It will be because I had to divide my attention between work & home without doing injustice to either, while you had a "me" at home to take care of all that is your's so you could focus entirely on work!

Sure, there are times when I curse the fact that I was born a woman. There are going to be many such times in the future as well. But at the end of the day, everyday, I'm grateful that I was born a woman.

I give you the strength to be what you are. I can excel at managing both my home & work while you need to be able to focus entirely on work to make an impact. I can endure more pain than you can. I am emotionally stronger than you are. I can take more blows in life without letting it erode my self-esteem. I can place your needs before mine and still feel fulfilled. I can emerge smiling from the toughest situations while you don't know how to handle one tear! I can see a hundred flaws in you & still make you feel like my hero.

But I never mention any of this because I know my worth and I don't need someone else to tell me what I am. I also know that though you choose not to show it, you are silently thankful that I exist. You are because I am and that's the biggest pat on the back anyone can ever give me.

So thank you for all the Women's Day wishes.

I accept humbly,
A woman

No comments: