Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What's In A Name, You Say?

Me (on phone with a guy at Subway): I'd like to place an order for delivery please.

Subway Guy: Mam, what's your "good" name?

I gave my name (Let's assume it's X)

Subway Guy: Is that really your name, mam?

(Silence)

Subway Guy: XY? (First & Last names of a popular actress whose first name I happen to share) followed by a giggle.

Me: It's not funny. Please take the order.

Subway Guy: It was a joke, mam.

Me: I haven't called to listen to your jokes. Please take the order.

Subway Guy: Yes mam, what would you like to order?

I wish people got a life. And a sense of humor. They're not as funny as they think they are. If a woman shares her name with a popular actress, chances are she's had people making jokes about it all her life, and doesn't find it funny or appreciate it anymore.

4 comments:

Kalyan Karmakar said...

hmmm someone's angry this week

Reminds me of the time when i came to work on a Sunday years back at IMRB Dadar. I called Kamat for a poori bhaji. He said naam kya hey. I replied....he banged the phone down saying 'hum Kalyan mein deliver nehin karte'

Serendipity said...

@ The Knife - hhahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This was funny!

btw its naam kya hai. :D tha hindi spelling also sounded very Bong!

Kalyan Karmakar said...

you found that funny...you should have heard me moderating groups in hindi in Delhi and Kanpur and Ludhiana...I used to sart with a ten minute speech on how my Hindi is broken and should be ignored

Scarlett said...

@The Knife - The stupidest people according to me:

1. Retail store clerks
2. Customer service executives
3. Waiters

Strictly in that order.